Sunday, January 30, 2011

CD Review: The Dixie Melody Boys - "Heading Home"

Few albums have spoken through the wrds in their songs lately as this one has.  I know the Dixie Melody Boys aren't the most obscure group, but I felt compelled to review this album.
Fresh off their success from the re-cover of their hit 1982 song, "The Antioch Church Choir", "Heading Home" could be considered one of those forgotten albums.  No matter who remembers it, this album is definately memorable once you listen to the words of the songs.
The album starts out with a modern country Gospel song, "Giver of Amazing Grace".  Jamie Caldwell leads the verses and chorus very well.  Other faster songs include "I Wanna Go to Heaven", "I'm One of Them", "Wonderful Change", "It's Called Heaven", and "The River Still Flows".
Though the album has it's share of upbeat, up-tempo songs, the album slows down with Derrick Selph's solo on "I'm Not Weeping".  Bass singer, Ed O'Neal, sings "They're Playing Our Song".  "Arise" is a great song that uses a great deal of strings and brass.  "Grace Found a Place" is a slower song that features Ed O'Neal performing with the group and a selection of strings and woodwinds. The title song, "Heading Home" closes the album perfectly.
I dug up this album when I was looking through my dad's old CDs to put on my computer.  I had listened to it quite a bit before I got saved, but it didn't speak to me until I dug it up.  If you have the opportunity to own this great album, don't pass it up.  You will not be sorry if you have this CD in your collection.  It will be a great blessing
Average Song Rating: 5/5
Album Rating: 5/5
Members: Ed O'Neal - Bass; Derrick Selph - Baritone; Jamie Caldwell - Lead; Harold Reed - Tenor; Eric Ollis - Piano
Studio Musicians: Davis Johnson - Fiddle, Harmonica, Steel, Mandolin; David Moody: Acoustic & Lead Guitar; Milton Smith - Keyboards; Wesley Pritchard - Bass Guitar; Rick Murray - Drums
Strings: Paul Goldsberry, Marshall Johnson - Violin; Phyllis Whitlow - Viola; Jerry Nelson - Cello
Brass: Vince Winnies, Marlon McDonald - Trombone; John Anderson, David Herron - Trumpet
Prouced by Wesley Pritchard & Milton Smith

2 comments:

  1. I found this cassette on clearance at a local Christian bookstore. After reading your review, I'm going to have to go pull it out again. "I'm One of Them" is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I love the words to "Giver of Amazing Grace".
    "What a blessed occasion when jesus saved my soul!"

    ReplyDelete